July 9, 2012

Hubbardton 2012


Though I haven't done much research or work on my bookbinder persona, I have been doing some reading on the time-period.  I've also been trying to keep up on local reenactments.  This past weekend my family visited Hubbardton Battlefield for the annual reenactment there.  This year marks 235 years since the actual battle.

Hubbardton is actually one of my favorite spots to visit, especially during the off-season when no one is around.  The surrounding mountains are beautiful, and the terrain is basically the same as it was the day of the battle.  Hiking up the hill from the British side, it is easy to see what they were faced with.

According to one of the volunteers at the site, this year's reenactor turnout for the event was pretty good, at over 300 people.  I'm not sure if that count included just troops, or all reenactors.  It was nice to see a German unit there, though six men representing von Riedesel's reinforcements was a little odd.  Still, everyone seemed to be having a good time, and the crowd seemed to really enjoy talking to the folks that made themselves available.

I wasn't able to stay long, but I did capture some photos of the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment